Do I need drain cleaning services? This question is common among those who are experiencing sewer and drain troubles. The drain cleaning professionals at Bonney are here with insight. Let’s take a look at 5 signs you need drain cleaning services and 6 causes of blocked drains.
1: Slow or Ineffective Draining
Naturally, the most prominent sign of clogged drains is standing water in your tub, shower, or sinks. When you have a blockage in your drains, the water will take longer to travel through your plumbing system. This issue can leave you experiencing slow draining each time you take a shower or use your faucets.
2: Gurgling or Bubbling Sounds
Clogged pipes interrupt the drainage pathways of your plumbing system. These blockages can force water in different directions and through tighter spaces—resulting in some unusual sounds. If you hear gurgling or bubbling noises coming from your plumbing system, you should stop using the plumbing as you could have a drain blockage and may be due for drain cleaning services.
3: Odors Coming From Your Pipes
Sludge, mold, and other sources of drain backups can lead to some unpleasant smells. When these materials are not properly cleared from your pipes, their smell will only continue to worsen. As the odor becomes strong enough, these pipe blockages will create rotten smells in your home. If you can trace foul smells back to your drains, you need a drain cleaning service.
4: Frequent DIY Drain Cleaning
Drain cleaners can harm your pipes and create costly plumbing damage. However, homeowners still often turn to these solutions when they encounter drainage issues. Do you find yourself constantly needing to snake your drain or clear it with harmful chemical products? This occurrence is a sign of a deeper problem that likely requires professional drain cleaning services.
5: Water Backups
Severe drainage issues can cause water backups and leaks. When water and waste cannot drain properly, they may be left with nowhere to go. Instead, these materials can be forced back into your home.
At this point, you could have both a drain issue and possible water damage. It is better to get your drains cleaned at the first sign of an issue to avoid more costly problems.
What Causes Drain Blockages?
Pipe clogs are often the source of more than one drainage issue. When you have one small blockage, it can quickly build and collect other pipe hazards. Drainage problems can be caused by a wide variety of sources:
- Tree Roots: In areas with heavy tree coverage—like Sacramento—tree roots can find their way into your pipes, creating severe backups. Even if you are not in direct proximity to trees, their roots can find a pipe from over 100 feet away. Vulnerable pipes are especially susceptible to tree root troubles, including broken, damaged, or older pipes. Rotten cast iron piping is currently a significant problem and one of the biggest causes of backed-up sewers. Orangeburg pipes are also especially vulnerable to these issues.
- Sludge, Mold, and Bacteria: Your pipes are narrow, moist environments that are constantly exposed to water and bacteria—this can lead to mold, sludge, or algae growth.
- Debris: Over time, your pipes can also gather hair, sand, dirt debris, and other materials rinsed down the drain when you shower or wash your hands. Many people try to remove contaminants, like hair, with chemicals. Not only do these pose a threat to your pipes, but they also only offer short-term relief. The slime on hair gets burned out, which temporarily restores your drain’s function. However, hair can only be removed with cables—it does not dissolve with drain cleaners. Without manual service, the hair remains in your drain and continues to collect build-up.
- Soap: Body soap and shampoo are two of the biggest culprits of a plugged drain. Soap leaves a film on pipes, which builds up until the drain is clogged.
- Toothpaste: Toothpaste is another significant source of drain clogs. People often do not use enough water when brushing and turn off the water right after rinsing. While this is great for water conservation, your toothpaste solidifies in that U-shaped pipe (p-Trap) under the sink. Almost all drain stoppages can be prevented by using more water at a higher volume.
- “Flushable” Wipes: Wipes can be marked as “flushable” when they break down within a certain amount of time. However, this can take years to dissolve—giving these wipes time to block your pipes. Their textured surfaces can easily catch on to waste in your sewage system, leading to quick buildups. “Flushable” merely means working systems can theoretically handle these materials. To protect your pipes, never flush wipes—even when they say “flushable.” You should always throw wipes away in your trash bin.
The best way to discover the source of your drainage issue is to contact a professional. After diagnosing your drain troubles issues, an expert can work with you to create and implement a service plan. Most frequently, you will require a drain cleaning service to address blockages at their source.
Bonney Sewer and Drain Cleaning Services
When you are due for a drain cleaning service, the professionals at Bonney are here for you. We offer same-day drain clearing services for just $97—backed by our 97-day clog-free guarantee. Bonney proudly serves the drain cleaning needs of homes and businesses in the greater Sacramento area. Our service areas include Vacaville, Natomas, La Riviera, Rosemont, Carmichael, Roseville, Sacramento, Citrus Heights, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Gold River, Fair Oaks, and beyond! You can make your appointment here online or give our local drain experts a call to get started today!