Air Conditioning / Electrical / Energy Savings / Plumbing Jobs Sacramento
7 New Year’s Resolutions for your Home
January 22, 2021
As we leave 2020 behind, many people are setting their sights on improvements for the 2021 new year. Many popular New Year’s resolutions tend to circulate the same themes: save money, improve your health, and better your life. Oftentimes, the easiest place to begin each of these journeys is right inside your home. Here are 7 New Year’s resolutions for your home that can help you achieve all of your 2021 goals.
Better Air Quality
You can commit to improving your home’s air quality this year for a healthier 2021. We spend roughly 90% of our time indoors, though our indoor air can be significantly less healthy than outdoor air. According to the EPA, the air inside your home can contain a 5x higher concentration of pollutants. Additionally, as home sealing and other environmentally-friendly home efforts begin to reduce outdoor air infiltration, indoor air is gradually becoming worse.
Especially in areas like Sacramento, where air quality can be a dire concern, a New Year’s resolution for improved air quality has the potential to benefit you and your family’s health long-term.
Preventing Home Damage with Maintenance
Are you looking for easy ways to save money this year? Plumbing and HVAC maintenance can help you save money by avoiding repairs, preventing damage, and improving operational efficiency.
- Saving on Repairs: When your heating, cooling, plumbing, or electrical system encounters an issue, you might not notice it until it becomes severe—costing you a lot of time and money. In a worst-case scenario, this could mean a major water leak, an electrical hazard, or an entire HVAC system shutdown. Regular preventative maintenance with a Bonney professional can help catch problems early, often leading to more affordable repairs.
- Preventing Damage: Your HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems require routine care. Better than repairing damage, a seasonal maintenance visit can help you prevent system damage altogether.
- Operational Efficiency: When your home has the care it needs to run properly, your heating, cooling, electrical, and plumbing systems will not have to work in overdrive to operate effectively. This can mean saving money each month in 2021 with lower overall utility bills.
Money-Saving Home Upgrades
Another helpful way to save money in 2021 is by cutting down on your monthly expenses with appliance upgrades. Do you have high water bills? What about high energy bills? Upgrading your old appliances could help you save every month while giving you more sustainability and a better overall experience. Some examples include:
- New water heater: If your unit has reached the end of its lifespan, a new water heater (either tankless or traditional) can bring you improved heat time, longer-lasting water, and lower monthly bills.
- Upgraded heater/furnace: If you find that your old heating system just is not doing its job this winter, you might be paying high monthly bills for a unit that is not working. A new heater can help keep your home comfortable while lowering your energy costs.
- In-house EV charging station: Do you overpay for your electric vehicle charging? Public charging can be both inconvenient and expensive. Installing an in-house EV charging station can save you money while significantly improving your electric vehicle driving experience.
More Sustainable Home Practices
As 2020 comes to a close, we are also seeing an end to the UN Decade on Biodiversity. Many homeowners have committed to improving their environmentally-friendly practices this year. Thankfully, many of the home upgrades mentioned here help you lower your monthly bills while meeting your goals for better environmental sustainability. Here are some additional ways to be more eco-friendly this year:
- Wash your clothes in cold water, when possible.
- Invest in water conservation services.
- Try to run your appliances in their eco-friendly settings.
- Set your thermostat to the lowest comfortable temperature in the winter and the highest comfortable temperature in the summer. In the winter, the Department of Energy suggests setting your thermostat to 68℉ during the day and programming it to lower settings when you are asleep or away from home.
- Use your dishwasher instead of handwashing. Contrary to popular belief, handwashing results in much more water waste.
Improved Comfort in 2021
Are you looking for ways to put yourself first in 2021? This year is the perfect time to ensure that your home is comfortable. When it comes to old or inefficient HVAC equipment, you will find yourself facing a system that does not work well, in addition to being costly to run. With our recent exposure to remote work and learning, homeowners everywhere are beginning to see the importance of an HVAC unit that runs smoothly, efficiently, and effectively. If you have been trying to keep an old system running, this may be your year to prioritize comfort and invest in a new heating or air conditioning unit.
Backup Generators: Improved Safety and Emergency Preparedness
Especially when you live in areas prone to natural disasters, such as earthquakes and wildfires, you want to make sure that your home is ready for anything. A backup generator can help keep you safeguarded from power loss caused by potential hazards. This power loss can leave you without heat, lights, air conditioning, and many other vital home functions. You can enjoy peace of mind and improved security this year with a generator acting as your safety net.
Bonney Home Services in Sacramento
For all of the support, insight, and expertise you need to meet your home’s New Year resolutions, the professionals at Bonney are here for you. We proudly serve the heating, cooling, plumbing, air quality, and electrical needs of the greater Sacramento area. Make your appointment here online by clicking “Schedule Now” to get started!