Plumbing Jobs Sacramento
Do I Need a New Hot Water Heater?
June 8, 2020
When it comes to water heaters, it is essential to uphold routine maintenance and keep an eye on your unit for necessary repairs and signs of needed replacement. Waiting too long to replace your water heater can spell disaster for your home and could cost you a significant amount of money in wasted water, gas and/or electricity. Neglecting your water heater can also leave you missing out on some beneficial upgrades to not only save money, but also lengthen the life of the system. Bonney is here with insight on how to keep your water heater going and how to tell when a new one might be needed.
The Age of Your Unit
Water heaters have a limited lifespan before needing to be replaced. The US Department of Energy estimates that tankless water heaters can last up to 20 years where storage water heaters last between 10-15 years. However, the hard water levels in Sacramento lead to increased erosion, corrosion, and more frequently needed water heater replacements. This is especially true if you don’t provide your water heater with regular maintenance—such as annual inspections, flushes, and anode replacement.
Ineffective Water Heater Functioning
Unlike most aspects of your home, when it comes to water heaters it might be hard to tell something is wrong and not functioning properly. When you notice something is wrong, it may have taken months or years to actually show itself. Scale, corrosion, and sediment can all build up inside the water heater slowly making the heater less and less efficient and effective over its life. Regular checks and maintenance can help prevent this from happening.
Water Heater Leaking
Perhaps one of the clearest signs that you need a new water heater is a water heater tank leak There are several external factors that will help a water heater fail such as excessive pressure, system leakage onto the unit, and poor water quality. In best-case scenarios, you replace the water heater before a major issue or find it with only the smallest leak but In worst-case scenarios, major leaks can create significant water damage in your home and belongings. Water is not the only thing to cause damage, steam also causes damage where water never touches. This is why it is essential to stay ahead of water heater care and replacements.
Expert Plumber Insight
When all else fails, you can gauge your need for a new water heater by contacting your local plumbing experts. During your recommended annual water heater flushes and maintenance, an expert can provide manufacturer-recommended care while inspecting your system for issues. A professional plumber can also let you know when you are nearing the time for a recommended replacement. Keep in mind that no one can see inside the tank and its exact condition. By maintaining regular care and maintenance, however, your system will be preserved for as long as possible and your water heater’s life expectancy will be extended.
Benefits of a New Water Heater
While replacing your hot water heater may feel inconvenient, it can provide outstanding benefits for you and your home. In addition to fixing any present issues, a new unit can provide:
- Fuel Conservation: A new water heater will speed the warming process. Less corrosion in the tank allows for faster heat transfer thus saving energy to heat the water. This will save you both time and money while helping the environment. New water heaters also have more and better insulation.
- Home Protection: Old and deteriorated water heaters are ticking time bombs. If you wait too long before your water heater replacement, you could risk a burst unit. This can spread water throughout your home or garage, creating costly damage and wreaking havoc.
- Size Upgrade: Have you noticed that there is never enough hot water for everyone in your home to take a shower? When installing a new water heater, you can upgrade to a larger, more efficient unit. A larger unit can ensure that there is always enough hot water to go around.
- Saving Water: Does your water heater work quickly and effectively? If not, it is likely that you are about due for a replacement. The average home wastes an estimated 12,000 gallons of water each year waiting on water to warm. Water heater replacements can help you save time, water, and money while enjoying a better experience with your hot water system. A new recirculating pump means your water will be hot in just a few seconds.
- Water Heater Addons that Save: Maybe you don’t have room for a larger tank but need more hot water… a professional plumber can help you add a thermostatic mixing valve. This allows hotter water in the tank for more capacity while diluting it back down to a safe temperature before it hits your valves.
If you are concerned about affordability, consider the amount thrown away every day, month, and year by operating an inefficient water heater as interest paid towards a new one. You can find the lowest possible prices when you partner with a plumbing company that accommodates a wide range of options specific to your needs. It is also helpful to find a company with maintenance plans, coupons, and financing options, such as those provided by Bonney.
Water Heater Replacement in Sacramento
When you are ready for a water heater replacement or inspection, the team at Bonney is here for you. Our professional plumbers offer expert insight and affordable water heater service in and around Sacramento. Our plumbing service areas extend to Folsom, Davis, Fair Oaks, Placerville, Fairfield, Newcastle, Rocklin, and beyond. Make an appointment with the certified plumbers at Bonney to get your new hot water heater today!