In 1974, the United States Congress passed the Safe Drinking Water Act. The act empowered the Environmental Protection Agency to establish and enforce standards for public water systems, with the goal of protecting public health by ensuring that drinking water is safe to consume. However, public water is still susceptible to contamination despite these standards.
The recent crisis over clean drinking water in Flint, Michigan has drawn national attention to the fact that these regulations and standards aren’t always enforced. Many citizens have taken matters into their own hands by installing a private in-home water filtration system. These systems are powerful enough to filter harmful contaminants that may remain, even after treatment from a municipal water system. A whole-house filtration system also provides several other benefits, listed below:
- Filters and removes minerals and chemicals from water – One of the most important benefits of a home filtration system is its ability to remove harmful chemicals from the water you drink and bathe in. Chemicals blocked and filtered include:
- Toxic metals like lead, mercury, barium and arsenic
- Radioactive elements
- Acid rain
- Leachate from landfills
- Storm water runoff
- Industrial waste
- And more
- Extends the life of your plumbing fixtures – Chemicals and minerals not only have an effect on you, but also your home’s fixtures. Minerals like iron can cause water-using appliances like sinks, bathtubs and toilets, to rust. Home water filtration systems protect your home’s fixtures and appliances from mineral contaminated water, ensuring they don’t need to be repaired or replaced as often as a home without a personal filtration system.
- Removes odors from your water – Minerals and chemicals in water can give off unpleasant odors such as sulfur. However, water filtration systems can remove unpleasant smells and odors before it even leaves the tap, ensuring you’re drinking and bathing in pleasant, odorless water.
- Softened, filtered water can save on energy and expenses – “Hard water” is municipal water that contains a high mineral content. This is often the case in many southwestern cities including Sacramento. Hard water will cause calcium and mineral buildup on faucets and showerheads over time, reducing their flow or even blocking them entirely! Water filters can help keep water soft so your fixtures don’t get as calcified and water flows steadily. Softened water can reduce detergent use by 50% and achieves similar results in dishwashers.
Purchase High-Quality Water Filters with Bonney Plumbing
Keep your water clean with a personal, high-quality water filtration system from Bonney. Investing in a water filtration system for your home can resolve hard water problems, keeping water spots off your glass shower doors and drinking glasses sparkling. Water conditioners can also remedy sour smells from sediments in city water or wells, all with a single, basic cartridge replacement.
Bonney Plumbing also provides a wide array of home services including air conditioning maintenance and repair, drain and sewer line cleaning, and even home electrical repairs! And our certified Premier Technicians provide 5-star service to thousands of loyal and satisfied customers each year, utilizing quality, high-performance brands.
Contact Bonney Plumbing to schedule an appointment to have your Sacramento or Rancho Cordova area home tested for water quality issues and to receive recommendations on which one of our water filtration systems is right for your needs.