Skip navigation to main content.

Rewiring Your Home

Many older homes were not designed to handle the power needs of modern families and modern electronics. An older home equals older wiring. Whether you’re running multiple computers, cranking that cool new sound system, or just using the washer and dryer, the electrical demands of your current lifestyle may put extra stress on the wiring in your home, increasing the chance of blown fuses and electrical fires.

Rewiring your home can bring it up to date and leave your electrical system working better than ever. Home re-wiring is a crucial step in ensuring you have the safest and most effective electricity in your home giving you a sense of relief that you don’t have faulty or unsafe wiring.

Some homeowners allow their wiring to get worse and worse until it’s too late. Is your home bombarded with electrical problems? There are many warning signs your home needs to be rewired:

  • Flickering lights. Flickering lights can cause quite a disruption in your home when you’re trying to do simple everyday tasks. It’s usually a sign of faulty wiring somewhere in the home.
  • Discolored or charred outlets and switches. This is a sign that there’s a short caused by either a loose connection or faulty wiring near an outlet or switch. The loose connection may cause sparking that could result in a small fire which can cause the surface of the outlet to char or discolor.
  • Circuit Breaker trips frequently. Your circuit breakers job is to prevent fires by “tripping” or cutting off electrical flow when a circuit exceeds the number of amps it’s designed to handle.
  • Aluminum wiring. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, failing aluminum wire connections can cause overheating that can then cause a fire. It’s estimated that 2 million homes were built with aluminum wire between 1965 and 1973.
  • Knob and tube wiring. This type of wiring is typical in homes built before 1935.
  • Frayed wiring. Frayed wiring in your home is highly dangerous, as exposure can easily lead to fires or electrical shocks. It needs to be replaced immediately so the safety of you and your family are not placed at risk.

If you notice any of these warning signs in your home, call the certified premier electricians at Bonney to check it out before they can cause any significant damage to your home. Although there is no set timeline for replacing your electrical system, you should always have your connections checked by a qualified electrician every 10 years.